Friday, August 26, 2005

Shelby's question

HELP!!!Can anyone tell me?
Question: What is the difference between repression and dissociation? They both sound like denial to me. Is the difference in the categories of defense mechanisms?
- Repression - Neurotic (Intermediate) defense
- Dissociation - Immature (personality disorder)defense
- Denial - Psychotic (Severe) defense
...or am I completely off base?

The way I understand it, repression is a kind of forgetting. You bury the issue in you unconscious so it no longer causes anxiety.

Dissociation, on the other hand, is splitting off part of your personality and ignoring or forgetting it is there to defend your ego against some anxiety producing event or thought. This is what affects a person with Multiple Personality Disorder, but it does not need to go that far.

Denial is refusing to face facts. Such as, "It is not a heart attack, I must have pulled a muscle." or "It was not being molested, after all, he said he loved me."

At least that is how I understand them.

Anyone else have any ideas?

No comments: