Tuesday, September 27, 2005

N4 Pharm quiz Thyroid and Antithyroid Agents

Lilley: Pharmacology and the Nursing Process, 4th Edition
evolve website

1. Which of the following statements demonstrates understanding of discharge medications for a patient receiving levothyroxine (Synthroid):
A. “I will take this medication in the morning so as not to interfere with sleep.”
B. “I will double my dose if I gain more than 1 pound per day.”
C. “It is best to take the medication with food to prevent GI upset.”
D. “I can expect to see relief of my symptoms within 1 week.”

2. The nurse would suspect excessive thyroid replacement in a patient taking levothyroxine (Synthroid) and exhibiting:
A. Bradycardia
B. Intolerance to cold
C.Weight gain
D.Irritability

3. Patients taking levothyroxine (Synthroid) and warfarin (Coumadin) should be monitored for:
A. Cardiac arrhythmias
B. Increased risk of bleeding
C. Excessive weight loss
D. Increased risk of deep vein thrombosis

4. A patient receiving propylthiouracil (PTU) asks the nurse how this medication will help relieve his symptoms. The nurse’s best response would be:
A. “Propylthiouracil inactivates any circulating thyroid hormone, thus decreasing signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism.”
B. “Propylthiouracil inhibits the formation of new thyroid hormone, thus gradually returning your metabolism to normal.”
C. “Propylthiouracil helps your thyroid gland use iodine and synthesize hormones better.”
D. “Propylthiouracil stimulates the pituitary gland to secrete thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), which inhibits the production of hormones by the thyroid gland.”

5. Patients taking antithyroid medications should be taught to avoid foods high in iodine such as:
A. Milk
B. Eggs
C. Seafood
D. Chicken

6. A patient demonstrates understanding of radioactive iodine (I-131) therapy when stating:
A. “I will have to isolate myself from my family for 1 week so as not to expose them to radiation.”
B. “This drug will be taken up by the thyroid gland and destroy the cells to reduce my hyperthyroidism.”
C. “This drug will help decrease my cold intolerance and weight gain.”
D. “I will need to take this drug on a daily basis for at least 1 year.”

1 comment:

Bonnie Boss said...

1a, 2d, 3b, 4b, 5c, 6b