Thursday, May 19, 2005

To the Dear Students of Our Nursing Program

Lisa Parrinella asked me to post this letter on the blog for all to read.

To say that I am overwhelmed, is the biggest understatement I have ever said.

15 years ago, I entered nursing school. I had the privilege of being taught by a wonderful teacher, Joy, who not only taught me skills, but also encouraged us to nurse with our hearts. She gave me a confidence that I didn’t know I had, and told me “You are the nurse” every time I said “ I’ll get the nurse.” I knew then, as a first semester student, that my goal was to stand in her shoes and to be a teacher. I plugged along, jumped through the required hoops, and received my ADN. One year later, I started my BSN program, and last year completed my MSN in nursing education. Along the way I have taught many new grads and paramedic interns, but always knew nursing school was my true calling. When the opportunity to fill a temporary position at Delta came up, I jumped at the chance to fulfill my dream.

The past 2 semesters I have had the privilege of meeting all of you, and get to teach some of you as your instructor. I have enjoyed it in a way that I have never enjoyed a job before, I had realized my dream. You have taught me as much as I have taught you.

Please do not be discouraged by the events of the past few days. I am so very proud of all you. Your loyalty, your professionalism, and your courage have amazed me, and I will never forget. You were eloquent in a situation that had to be intimidating to say the least. In one day you rallied together as a team, and worked together for a common goal. A skill that will serve you well in nursing. You stood up for what you felt was right, and I know that you all will be great patient advocates, the most important skill we have as nurses.

I will miss seeing all of you, but know that I will be there at your pinning ceremony to celebrate a most joyous day that honors your success. You have all managed to turn a disappointment for me into one of the most amazing things that have ever happened to me in my lifetime.

With much gratitude and fondness,
Lisa

Those of you that are in my group, what would be a letter from me without quotes!

Victor KiamWhat's really important in life? Sitting on a beach? Looking at television eight hours a day? I think we have to appreciate that we're alive for only a limited period of time, and we'll spend most of our lives working. That being the case, I believe one of the most important priorities is to do whatever we do as well as we can. We should take pride in that.
Mother TheresaKind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are trulyendless

1 comment:

Bonnie Boss said...

Lisa, thank you for your care, dedication, and passion for the profession that you have shown to us. You have set an example for us to live up to. We will miss you and feel bad that the next semester will not have you to help them as you have helped us.